Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Beth DeMont's HS Students Work

One of the teachers at the High School Teacher Retreat on October 24th was Beth DeMont. This is her narrative on how she implemented the information from the workshop into her classroom.

"I have found this style of creating a wonderful, freeing, release of the planning and calculating that as an artist I so often do. Sometimes the calculation and thought processes actually hinder or even bring creating to it's end before it even begins. I also have found that this process brings even more creative thought into an artistic piece. I love the spontaneity of creating with multiple mediums and the feel of play while creating a piece that is not planned. The outcome is like opening a package on Christmas morning, you have the package in your hand, it's pretty and you have an excited feeling about it but you don't know what is inside yet...but you will when you finish opening it or creating it. My students have fallen in love with this method and I have had students who don't necessarily thrive in the art room, actually get excited about it and have an outstanding creative experience! I love the fact that it teaches the student to use all different kinds of media within one assignment, so when they decide to create a watercolor, pastel, or oil painting they will have already had the experience and a successful one at that using these supplies. It has set a new sense of freedom for me and for my students, we have actually gone back and looked at past works and they look, one dimensional, plain, and do not tell the story that these mixed media pieces have taught us. One of the most important techniques this method teaches students is to layer and overlap which is not easy to teach HS students to do, they realize they have the freedom to experiment and rework areas if they do not please them. This is the best workshop I have ever taken that allows me to show students how to express their emotions and ideas successfully."
























No comments:

Post a Comment