Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Taking down the Sunflower Bench

It is finally time to take down the Sunflower Bench and send it to Cloud Ceramics to be flash fired.  As we took down the levels, I drew out the outline of  each level of the brick layers as well as taking photos of the levels.  I also numbered each brick with the level number and brick number, ex: 6 bricks in the top level became M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6 from left to right.  I also marked which side of the brick faced the front and which ones faced the back and the left and right ends.  This might have been overkill, but since we lost our dear brick mason, James Cyphers, recently, it may be a year before I can get the bench installed.  I want to make sure that there is enough information that it will be easy to reconstruct the bench for the new mason.  Here are some of the photos from taking down the bench.  My two wonderful, hard working work studies, Destiny Gunder and Diane Kooser, were great help.  I don't know what I will do without them next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment